Tuesday 14 February 2012

Love and Osteopathy

Ah, Valentine’s Day- it was the best of times, the worst of times. Every year, Valentine’s Day is a time to think of Relationships Past, Present and Future. For many, this is the most romantic day of the year. For the males among those many, it is one of the most stressful times of the year in trying to think of something romantic for your loved one as your gift will be talked about by your girlfriend to her girlfriends, your wife to other wives. For those not in a relationship at this time, I hope you spend the day with people you love because that is the best gift you can give and get:  love.

So, this special day has inspired me to write my new blog on how I think love is like Osteopathy. Before this day, I have been thinking of funny things lately. I am fortunate to work with nice people and to spend time after work with good friends. I like to think I have a good sense of humor and I enjoy making friends laugh with a blend of <ahem> sophisticated humor with reference to popular culture to simple jokes from the top of my head. And even though others might say I am funny, I realize that funny is a gift that only others can give me. I always think I am lucky when I think of something funny to say and there is someone near who I can try it on. And if they laugh, then they might say I am funny, but the same joke said in my head or with no one around is not as funny.

So, I realize that many of our good qualities are given to us by others; I am funny only because I have others to entertain or make laugh. Valentine’s Day reminds me that we are only loving and caring if we can give our love and care to others. A person full of love with no one to give it to is like a beautiful dinner with no one to enjoy it. Only by sharing these qualities can we bring out different parts of us and complete ourselves. These and many other traits in us are best expressed when others can help bring them out of us. And so, it makes me think how our health is like love.

I am thankful to patients who have thanked me for the help I have given them, and tell me how my treatments have improved their health and reduced their pains. But I also feel grateful that the natural healing ability of their bodies helped me bring out their natural health. For example, their back pain did not exactly go away because of me, but rather because Osteopathy taught me to reduce their muscle tension, improve their joint movements and decrease the nerve irritation.  Their headaches, irritable bowel and nausea, sports injuries and other aches and pains did not disappear just because of me, but rather because I helped their bodies based on applied anatomy and Osteopathic techniques help themselves.

So, thank you if you think I am funny, caring or a good Osteopath. I realize that these qualities are not for me to take, but because you gave them to me; you allowed me to share these qualities with you. If they were left unexpressed, funny is the same as unfunny, love is the same as not loved. I appreciate the trust my patients give me for their health and I am a good Osteopath only because my patients’ bodies responded well to my treatments. So, this Valentine’s Day and any day you share with a loved one, I hope you will find the joy in give and take, and that one of the greatest things you can give someone is gratitude.

Dickson Wong
Osteopathic Practitioner

No comments:

Post a Comment